Saturday, June 7, 2014

How Much Is Homeschooling Online - News



Questions and Answers





Home-schooling? Online schools?

I'm in 10th grade and I was wondering about homeschooling options. I really never been a fan of school. I'm a good student and can get things done on my own, but the only thing that's really bad right now is my attendance to school. I dread waking up early and we have a hard time getting to school because of vehicle situations and I know this stresses my mom out because I don't think she wants to go to court or jail. I'm living in the state of New Mexico and I my mom doesn't have time to homeschool me, but what about the online homeschooling programs? Will they give you a normal high school diploma? Which programs are not fake, or which is the best? I'm also going to talk to my counselor at my school that I'm in now, but i wanna know more beforehand. Also do I have to wait till the next school year, since it's already April and school here ends at the end of May. Is the only difference to online homeschooling is doing it in the comfort or your home?

Are there people who are willing to come to my house and homeschool me or is online schooling the best way to go?

Thank you for your help!


Posted by jamie






Online programs are either public or private schools. The ones that are free for you are public for-profit schools. Private schools are tuition based. Legally, they are public or private schools, not homeschooling (3 separate options).


Public online schools require a parent to sign a contract agreeing to be your "learning Coach". Without a parent to supervise and assist you there isn't much chance of you succeeding in online public schools. They are regulated the same as every other public school in NM, and the sponsoring school district is the one that issues your diploma.


Your counselor in school is an employee of the school district that stands to lose thousands of dollars in funding if you leave. I doubt very much he or she will encourage you leave the district. Four or five kids leave and they are unemployed.


Hiring someone to tutor you is expensive. The average teacher salary in NM is $46,888 and that is before benefits like health insurance and the taxes an employer must pay for an employee.


I would encourage you to stay in school and get the education you need to function in life. There are no do-overs and it's your one chance.


Here are a few articles about online public schools. As you can see, the success rate just isn't there. I do not have anything specific to NM but you can google any school's name and terms like 'investigation' and 'scam'.


Virtual School Profits Far Exceeding Performance

May 17, 2013

http://ift.tt/1utchLu;


Cyber schools flunk, but tax money keeps flowing 9/26/13

http://ift.tt/1utchLy;


From Junk Bonds to Junk Schools: Cyber Schools Fleece Taxpayers for Phantom Students and Failing Grades

10/2/13 http://ift.tt/1utchLC;


School Reform and the Profit Motive

By Jay Mathews

The Washington Post

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

http://ift.tt/1kInQf0;


If money is not an issue you might find a private school to enroll in. Again, investigate completely. There is very little – if any- regulation of private schools. Two reputable ones I know of are:


http://ift.tt/1utcfDs

http://ift.tt/1utcfDw


and here is NM's homeschooling information. It does require total participation by a parent and is not in any way connected to any school.


http://ift.tt/1pRJvob;


later: I did a little searching and found this article about online schools in NM.

http://ift.tt/1pRJvod;






Which is better? Homeschooling online or public schools?

I want to do homeschooling but I need to show my dad that it's better than public schooling. Help me with pros and cons.


Posted by Pooter






Homeschooling is better if you can keep yourself focused and not blow off your work. If you can prove that, you're good to go. They have excellent online programs nowadays. I finished highschool early by doing one.


Pros:

Centralized learning. Completely oriented around your personal method of learning that works best for you. You can also do it anytime (in most programs) which makes it really convinient for getting a job.

Learning to stay on task and organizing your time with it is also a great skill to have that would surely impress your dad.

And there is a lack of distraction that is unavoidable at public school.


Cons:

Some people cannot teach themselves well. They may fly through the courses and technically pass, but later on it doesn't help them. You have to be sure that it is the right choice for you.

Your social life will probably die down a bit, just because you aren't constantly around you friends. Its certainly not impossible to have a great social life while attending online school, especially if you came from high school in the first place.









Death Of Cyndee Hill Wells, 'Rude Mom' Blogger, Spurs Go Fund Me Campaign To Care For Her Autistic Son, Denver [PHOTOS]


In response to the death of popular “Rude Mom” blogger Cyndee Hill Wells , who suffered from a bone disorder and multiple sclerosis and had a mild heart attack late last year, an online fundraiser to help support Wells’ autistic son, Denver, is nearing its goal of $1,000. The Go Fund Me effort was created by Teri Hardy, who announced Wells’ death on the “Cyndee Wells Fund” website.



http://ift.tt/1wVl6jF;





How Much Is Homeschooling Online

via WordPress http://ift.tt/1uCvUkl

No comments:

Post a Comment