Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Best Homeschool Curriculum Reviews - News



Questions and Answers





Homeschooling a Preschool? Alpha Omega Academy?

Has anyone ever used the Alpha Omega Academy Home-school curriculum? I'm considering homeschool my child when they are preschool ready.

Did you use print based or computer based?

Did you use Switched-on-Schoolhouse, LifePAC, or Horizons?


Which do you recommend?


http://ift.tt/1kD1bkx


Do you recommend any other curriculum schools for homeschooling a preschooler?

And before you bash homeschooling..

It would be close to impossible for my child to attend a "regular" school because we go back and forth between states monthly.

Well, I just need something with some structure that I can adjust to my child's needs. It's a bit overwhelming by the selection of books available. That is why I asked advice on some experienced mothers.

Of course I'm not trying to push learning onto my child when she is not ready – I just want her to find learning fun appropriately.


Posted by Miss Fancy






I homeschool my three children. I wouldn't go too nuts in the pre-school years. They learn a lot more through play and conversation than they will from a set curriculum. We did a lot of games, baking, reading, talking and playing. As for curriculum, we've tried various programs, but we never really liked any of the all in one programs. We, by far, prefer to pick and choose our curriculum.We've had great success with both Horizons Math and Teaching Textbooks. As for L.A., we've done really well with a combination of Plaid Phonics and Explode the Code. For writing, we didn't really care for any of the available programs, so we made our own. On Monday, the kids pick a topic, draw a detailed picture and brainstorm a word list. On Tuesday, they write a rough draft. On Wednesday, we edit. On Thursday, the write out the good copy. On Friday, they present the story and enter it into their story binder. They've really done well with this, and they all have an impressive book that they've written themselves. For science, we do anything and everything that grabs their interest. For history/geography, we pick between two and four topics a year and spend lots of time digging deep into them. We don't "study" art and music. We incorporate art and music into everything we do. We also cook and bake a lot and try to link the recipes to whatever country we are studying. Yesterday, we did a science experiment in the morning. Then we spent the rest of the day outside building a snow fort. While building, we discussed arctic survival, the insulating properties of snow, acclimatization, winter birds and states of matter. I'd like to offer two items of advice. First, keep it fun and love it as much as your kids will! Second, immediately disregard any of the socialization nonsense your going to hear, especially on this site. Homeschooling takes less time so we only need to "school" in the mornings. Our afternoons are spent at workshops, dance, music, sports, woodworking, volunteering field trips, play dates, park days, swimming and skating, all with other kids. Rather than spending six hours a day sitting next to same age in a classroom, my kids are out in the community playing, volunteering, interacting and learning with people off all ages, not just their own age. Have fun with it and laugh a lot. It can be a lot of work, but it is TOTALLY worth it.






Suggestions for 3rd Grade Homeschool Curriculum?

Hello. I have been homeschooling my daughter since the middle of her K year. She will be entering 3rd grade this year. During her first grade year we used LifePack, but she was extremely bored with it and we were disappointed. During her 2nd grade year I picked up grade appropriate textbooks and created my own curriculum.


We were going to put our daughter in school this year, but after meeting with the school we quickly changed our mind (to our daughters delight!). I would like to use a curriculum this year, but homeschooling is not popular where I live and I have no idea which curriculums to look at. I haven't found any stores that sell material and I can't explore the materials online.


Suggestions please…


Posted by mmyof2grls






If you want a lot of opinions on the options available, try http://ift.tt/1iq9VFS It's a site that gives homeschoolers' reviews of various curricula.


It is rather difficult to give specific recommendations without knowing more about what you do (or don't) want in a curriculum. Recently we've used "The Well-Trained Mind" and it's classical education approach, using "Story of the World" for world history, "First Language Lessons" for grammar and such, Saxon for math, lots of nonfiction library books and "Bill Nye, the Science Guy" videos for science, "Spelling Power" for spelling, and a lot of classic children's literature for reading. But I've seen lots of curriculum that looks great. And the library has a lot of great resources that can be used to create your own curriculum (you don't *have* to use textbooks). There are so many methods and options to choose from…


If you still have no idea, try reading "Mary Pride's Complete guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling"–it is a huge book but there are several chapters in it that describe various methods of homeschooling. Read it and see which one sounds like the homeschooling you are imagining, the homeschooling that you think will work for you, and then check out the curriculum options she suggests for that approach.






Texas and homeschool curriculum question.?

I have decided to homeschool my kids. I have a 10 year old in the 4th going to the 5th grade and a 3 year old. I am very confused about the curriculum for my soon to be 5th grader. I would love to purchase an affordable kit. I have contacted HOST and read on Tx Homeschool Association website all kinds of info.


Does anyone have any suggestions or reviews for which curriculum to choose. A Beka seems somewhat expensive compared to others and I can't find reviews for anything.

My children are very much NOT introverts. The public school system is dumbing them down. I feel homeschooling is the best choice for us. I just don't know where to start. I want a kit.


Posted by Stacey G






I would like to recommend the Rainbow Resource website. They have complete curriculum sets along with just about everything else you would need. Their reviews are very thorough.


If you are on a budget you can put your own curriculum together. Here's an example of something I've done for Literature Studies: Check the desired book out of the library. Scan the book and make a list of vocabulary unfamiliar to the student. Ask the student to look each word up in a dictionary and write down the definition. At the end of each days reading the student should discuss with you what was read. When the book is finished the student can write a synopses.


We also homeschool in TX. It's one of the easiest states to homeschool in. Good luck!









How parents can use the iPad to keep their kids learning this summer


The quality and number of education apps has increased over the last few years. The following guide identifies apps that students and parents can use to stay on top over summer vacation.



http://ift.tt/1iq9RG1;





Best Homeschool Curriculum Reviews

via WordPress http://ift.tt/1jRnLRr

No comments:

Post a Comment