Monday, June 9, 2014

Homeschool Art Curriculum Reviews - News



Questions and Answers





I'm looking for homeschool online curriculum such as clever island or brainpop? They don't have to be free…

Reviews from actual users would be great. I like the layout of clever island…I'm just shopping around before I commit.


Posted by Melissa K






Do you want a full curriculum, or just supplemental (I consider BrainPop supplemental)?


We've had a subscription to Cosmeo for over two years and *love* it. It is thousands of on-demand videos, games, weblinks, clip art, and Nutshell Math – which make it worth the price of $9.95/mo or $99/year. There's a free, one month trial.


Http://www.cosmeo.com


There's also Time 4 Learning; it's $20 a month:


http://ift.tt/StZzxX;


It looks like Clever Island is limited to ages 3-8. For that reason, I personally wouldn't use it.


If you're looking for online, full HS curriculum, then look into K12. It's what we've used for five years. To purchase it without ties to a virtual public school, click on any of the "buy K12 direct" links. The direct purchase option is called Consumer Direct.


Http://www.k12.com






Daycare curriculum for 3-5 year olds?

Hi, I need help putting together a simple but nice weekly curriculum for my small home daycare. Ages from 3 to 5. Im not looking for do this, do that.. Or go to this website for ideas. I am looking at actual schedules of what I could offer in a daily basis. I am very creative as far as doing arts and crafts and im flexible with anything. Im looking at taking the kids to field trips one a week (if you wanna add that in thes schedule) i wanna do movie time once a week as well. I want to do story time, singing time, art time, spanish time (to teach them the basics of course) i want to do 2 letters and 2 numbers once per week and one shape also once per week. I want to do a science project one per week as well. I have a lot I want to do with the kids i ust dont dont how to put it all together in a daily schedule!!!! I have to include in the schedule breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack. And also nap time. Also want to allow some free play. Can someone please help me put up a weekly scheudle that includes all these things? The only things that i want to leave for once per week are: trip day, movie day. Everything else is daily. Please help. THANKS!!

I will be doing day care from 8am (kids will arrive at 745) until 5pm. 2 children are 2, 1 child is 3, 1 child is 4 and 1 child is 5. The schedule i need help putting together for the week is for the 4 and 5 year olds. I do breakfast at 7:30, morning snack at 10, lunch at 1145, nap at 1230 (for about an hour), affternoon snack at 3. Hope this extra info helps!!

JAVI: GREAT GREAT GREAT INFORMATION!!! Thank you soo much. You gave me exactly what I was hoping for! Again, thanks! This has helped me tremendously! For the books, DVDs, etc you mention after the schedule, do you just google those, or check amazon and ebay to get them? Or where can i find them? THANKS SO MUCH!


Posted by JN






4 days a week:

8:00 am–circle time (weather, calendar, counting, see http://ift.tt/StZzxZ; for ideas/details)


8:30 am–story time


9:00am–free time


9:30 am–singing time


10:00 am–am snack


10:30 am–singing time


11:00 am–spanish


11:30 am–lunch/recess


12:30 pm–nap


1:30 pm–art


2:00 pm–3R's (letters, numbers, shapes, introduce them all at the beginning of the week, spend 5 minutes on review, and the rest of the time on the teaching).


2:30 pm–free time


3:00 pm–snack


3:30 pm–movie (once per week)/more arts and crafts


4:30 pm, free time, clean up


Last day per week: Field trip, review shapes/letters/numbers, and anything else that needs reviewing. I guess it depends on how long of a field trip you want, you can schedule things for half a day.


I think the easiest thing would be to find a curriculum that meets some of those goals. Five in a Row has books with tie-ins for this age group, as does the book Peak with books. Ideas for art/social studies, so forth.


Sonlight curriculum has an awesome Christian based curriculum for this age group, with science, crafts, songs, books, and more all scheduled for you. You can skip the Christian items if you don't like them, there aren't much, and you wouldn't need too much supplies with each child.


But, mostly, I wouldn't schedule the day too tightly, sicne you have two 2 year olds, and a 3 year old, I would say they would LOVE to be included. I wouldn't just focus on the oldest 2 children, I would find things they could all do together. Even if the youngest ones don't do too good of a job.


LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD is also excellent, and can be used to teach letters and letter sounds with virtually no effort, other than pushing play. Even if you don't want to use too much movies, this one is really good, and very, very educational.


Kumon has some workbooks for this age group, but i suppose that would get expensive.


But, I would find a literature rich curriculum that can help you fill all those slots, so you have less planning to do.


But, honestly, if you go to a preschool, even a good one, you will notice that rarely is more than 2 hours a day spent actually "learning" and the rest of the time is spent discovering and moving, and playing. So, leave lots of time for that. Playing builds gross motor skills and engages brain cells. Help direct their play to build on those skills more.






What homeschool curriculum has the best teacher resources for 9th grade math?

I am currently homeschooling my 9th grader. We began homeschooling about a year ago. We started out with regular public school textbooks. I chose the Alpha Omega Lifepac curriculum for this year. I am pretty well pleased with the other subjects: language arts, science, history and geography, and bible. I chose math rather than algebra because my son has struggled throughout school in this subject and he has not retained some of the basic math concepts such as memorizing the multiplication tables and basic operations like division. As a matter fact, he cannot remember the math lessons one day to the next. I think this is because he is not interested in it and he finds the lesson plans boring. As we get further along, he continues to fall behind and it is obvious he is over his head on the material.

I am looking for a general math curriculum for 9th grade that has good teacher resources to help me hold his attention and work on the fundamentals, but also get him up to date with the skills he needs to complete 9th grade.


Posted by my3sons2834






My guess is that he missed those fundamentals while in public school and now he needs them to do the current lessons and doesn't have them. Try backing up and doing more fundamentals. He's tuning out.


Most math curriculum is sequential. I've never used alpha omega but my guess is it builds from year to year in some sort of order and if you didn't do the early grades you are dropping into the middle of something.


We used aBeka up until about 6th grade because it is good on fundamentals. We switched over to old Holt texts and all the boys liked their algebra and geometry. With a 9th grader you are at a crossroads – do you continue with homeschooling texts or do you go with adult texts? For high school with the youngest one we used Barron's self-teaching series ("Easy Way') for those subjects that were 'booorrrriinnnggg'. They are condensed and sequential from the easiest stuff to the harder stuff. You might try something like that. Oldest son used a GED prep book because it reviews math and language and builds skills, something he needed. He had finished 9th grade in public school but was way, way far behind. You might consider something like that? You can look at them in any bookstore.


Have luck. A lot of homeschooling is trial and error. In homeschooling you don't necessarily have to use something to TEACH. It's about LEARNING – give him the tools and stay out of the way. Empower the student.









Why Can’t We Be Friends?


Why can’t we be friends? Why can’t we be friends? I seen you ‘round for a long long time I really ‘membered you when you drink my wine” Sing it with me.



http://ift.tt/1iq9RG1;





Homeschool Art Curriculum Reviews

via WordPress http://ift.tt/StZqKN

No comments:

Post a Comment