Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Homeschool English Curriculum Reviews - News



Questions and Answers





I need help with finding a homeschool curriculum! I only need 13 units to graduate; help?

Right now i'm using some of the Alpha Omega booklets, not really a fan.

I was SUPPOSED to take the last 3 classes at my community college, but i'm too late for the registration :/

All i have left to take is Government, Economics and English.


Anyone know of a legitimate curriculum I can use that isn't too expensive?

ALSO! I'm trying to get all my credits done by the end of summer so i don't need a full years worrth of work.


Posted by heyyy





admin

Try looking at http://ift.tt/1iq9VFS to find reviews of curricula by a wide variety of homeschoolers.


Or make up your own. Curricula used by homeschoolers doesn't have to be made by someone else in order to be "legitimate." A number of homeschoolers design their own. If you have a public library nearby, you should be able to find a wide variety of books (not textbooks, but probably more interesting and written in more depth) on Government, Economics and various aspects of English. You can put together your own curriculum by reading a variety of books, writing reports on them or making some kind of project to show what you've learned and write up your own course description to show what your course included.


Books like "What About College? How homeschooling leads to admissions to the best colleges and universities" will give you great advice on writing up your own course descriptions and transcripts to show what you've learned during your course.


Good luck.






Homeschool Curriculum – non-religious – 11th grade?

So right now I'm doing school online. And it's not working out – we are having Internetproblems and I've had to go to the library and pay to use the computer or drive a ways to a family members house to use their computer – so I'm going back to regular Home Schooling.

I need a curriculum that is NOT Christian, or Catholic, or anything.

I'm a junior in High School – these are the classes I need (they can be from different curriculums as long as they are NOTTT religious).

Algebra 2

Chemistry

English 10/World Literature or American Literature

Social Studies 10/World History or World Studies

Pre-Calculus or something similar

Biology (Advanced, or for 10th grade)


*I know Biology comes before Chemistry. But I want Biology so I can review, I took it in 9th grade.

*I know Algebra 2 comes before Pre-Calculus, I'm taking them both. But I obviously won't start Pre-Calc until I finish Alg.2.


Thanks in advance. !!!

I have gotten books "for Christian families" and so has my friend that is homeschooled and we both had problems with them. They focus more on religion then actually learning the subject.

I'm not a Christian so it doesn't work for me.

I want to learn about the subjects I'd be taking in school, not religion and God. That's what church is for.

Even with the Christian Curriculum I had it was all religious, even the math and science. I figured that the english and history would be religious and whatnot, but even in the MATH (geometry) it's pretty much all they talked about…

And in science, it was about 50/50.


It's just frusterating.

But thanks for all the great answers!!!


Posted by lj





admin

My daughter does not use religious premise materials with her home schooling either, so don't worry about voicing exactly what you are looking for here ;-).


I'm not sure what your financial situation may be, but there is the option of ordering textbooks from publishers, as we do, or even searching for them and purchasing them through places like Ebay. For the past three years I have ordered books from McDougal-Littell and my daughter and I have both been very satisfied. There is a form that your parent(s) would need to fill out in order to purchase the Teacher's Editions, but it is very simple to do and well worth it.


I provided a link to McDougal below. Good luck finding the resources you prefer! :)






What are the top homeschooling curriculums?

Which are the best?


Posted by tennisdude2793





admin

Check out FLVS.net it is Florida Virtual School and has real classes for students in homeschool programs or students in regular high school/middle school just looking for extra credits. I take eight classes with them online and then I go to my college campus to take three clases there through dual enrollment. FLVS is free to all florida residents. But if your not in Florida you can still take classes wih them. It is a great progam. The classes are harder than regular high school classes because you are expected to know the information and teachers call parents once a month to discuss the students progress in the course. Your expect to do anywhere around 3 to 5 assignments a week, depending on the class your in. Also parents can access the students grades at anytime they would like to. Once students have completed the class they recieve their credit which is applied to their high school diploma, just like a regular school class. Also students are allowed 4 weeks to try the class out and if they decide it isn't for them they can drop the class without penalty and it wont go on their transcript. I'll say it again, it is a great program and top notch. They also have student clubs that students can join and participate in by traveling or going to competitions. Here is the list of the high school course offerings with FLVS.net (Keep in mind they also have honors credit classes and classes for middle schoolers) -


Art / Visual Arts

Adv Pl Art History

Business Systems and Technology

Web Design I

Web Design II

Adv Pl Computer Science A

Computer Programming-Basic I

Adv Pl Eng. Lang. And Composition

Adv Pl Eng. Lit. And Composition

English I

English II

English III

English IV

American Studies

Chinese 1

Latin I

Latin II

Latin III

Spanish 1

Spanish 2

Spanish 3

Adaptive Physical Education IEP or 504 Plan

Fitness Lifestyle Design

Life Management Skills

Personal Fitness

Adv Pl Calculus AB

Algebra I

Algebra I A

Algebra I B

Algebra II

Geometry

Liberal Arts Mathematics

Pre-Calculus

FCAT Prep – 10th Grade Review

FCAT Prep – 10th Grade Review

FCAT Prep – 8th Grade Review

SAT Preparation

Driver Education/Traffic Safety

Adv Pl Biology

Biology I

Chemistry I

Earth-Space Science

Marine Science

Physics I

Adv Pl Macroeconomics

Adv Pl Microeconomics

Adv Pl United States Government and Politics

Adv Pl United States History

American Government

American History

Economics

Global Studies

World History.









EVENTS 5-2-14


May 2 : Kids are invited to drop off their favorite stuffed animal at the Osterville Village Library between 3 and 5 p.m. For an animal sleepover – librarians will capture their overnight antics on film, to be shown during a special Story Time at 10 a.m.



http://ift.tt/1iq9RG1;





Homeschool English Curriculum Reviews

via WordPress http://ift.tt/1kJdRFY

No comments:

Post a Comment