Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Best Homeschool English Curriculum - News



Questions and Answers





Homeschool disaster help?

I transferred schools from New Hampshire to Massachusetts. At my old school it was 4 classes that were semester long 90 mins a day then the next semester you start another new 4 classes. At the new school there classes are year long 50 mins a day and I got transferred right after I finished my first semester! So I couldnt start the classes I was supposed to get at my old school because at the new school they are already half way done, so they gave me only 1 class that I was origininally supposed to get, English 10. But they did not give me the Geometry honors and Spanish 3 because they figured it'd be to hard to catch up in, which of course it would. I would feel much more comfortable starting english 10 from the beginning as well. So I decided to go to homeschooling to take these 3 classes at my own pace and own style. But I'm broke as shit. I guess the home school person said we had the option to borrow text books from the school, which is great! But when I get the text books, what do I do next???? I don't want to just get stuck doing stupid book work for a couple months and consider that "finishing the subjects" In Massachusetts they need proof so I need to assemble tests and score well on them. I need worksheets and stuff as well. In regular school you don't end up ever doing every chapter in the textbooks, you end up doing like 10 of them but skipping around, not in a row. So I was gonna see if I could just get an outline of what to do in each class from the school. I mean, I have internet to help with Spanish to look up pronunciation, I'm usually good at it anyways. But my parent does not know spanish at all nor any of the other stuff. Plus, what about English 10??? English never used a textbook anyways, so what do I do? No money, this is bullshittt. P.S if I had stayed in school I would be behind in math, and I don't want to get stuck doing extra work junior and senior year just because of it, that's why I chose this. Helppp!


Posted by





admin

For English, you may want to check out Ambleside Online. It's a free online curriculum guide for all subjects using mostly library books. http://ift.tt/1iq9T0F; Check out what they recommend for grade 10. It may help with your other subjects as well.


Without the answers and teacher guides to do tests, you will have a hard time just with the textbooks. You can try to find lesson plans for the books online. Search the book title and lesson plan. Or look for topic guides to go along with the chapter.


Well, I already suggested Math-U-See to you for geometry. Yes, it will cost about $85, unless you can find used copy, especially the instructor pack.


Check into Apologia for your science. A lot of homeschool families use it. There are often cheap copies available used online. I got their biology for just $10.


Have you looked into summer school? That may be a good way to get caught up. Plus, there is no guarentee the school will accept the work you do homeschooled anyway.






What is a good english curriculum who is a junior, and is homeschooled?

Ok, so I used write with the best for three years straight, I loved it. Since I did something that covered english and literature, my mom didn't get an english program for this school year. And I have noticed my grammar is not as top-notch as it used to be, can anyone recommend a good program?


Posted by loveandhearts





admin

Learning Language Arts Through Literature is a good program that covers writing, grammar, spelling, and all other "English" topics. It is in workbook form, and doesn't cost too much.


Sonlight is a very good homeschool program that includes English and literature.


You can get LLATL at http://ift.tt/1iq9V8F or http://ift.tt/Qz5exy.

Sonlight has it's own website: www.sonlight.com.






What is the best homeschool curriculum and why?

I am going to homeschool my 2 daughters who will be in 4th and 6th grade next yr. I am seeing so many different curriculums out here its overwhelming. I mostly need an English and math curriculum. NY state only cares about those test scores. The rest I can pretty much do on my own with fun projects and workshops in our area. I'd like to find a good language arts, spelling, writing etc. Curriculum. Something that allows me to do like an all-in-one thing or combo teaching.


Posted by LovesAnimals





admin

Depends on how your kids learn.


I have one aural learner who is a tiny engineer…extremely left-brained, logical, analytical, strategic. If the information doesn't come through his ears, forget it, it's not going to get absorbed.


I have one visual learner who is a tiny artist…very right-brained, athletic, adores acting, painting, coloring. She loves color, motion and music. If it doesn't catch her eye, forget it.


So we have basic, K-level geography. How many continents are there? What are they called? Where are they? Within those continents are countries; learn a bit about each. So my engineer does great with anything on the computer. I find a free geography game, he has to complete placing the named continents on a map five or six times every morning. The computer speaks to him as he clicks on the continents and moves them. I have a song on CD, I play the stupid thing All. The. Time. Especially in the car. It sticks in his head, has the names of the continents on it. He does fine with that.


My little artist is bored beyond belief by the computer program…the music is great, but she can't "see" the map in her head, it has to be in front of her. Here we have to get an inflatable globe and I put a sticker on a continent, then throw it to her. She has to catch the "ball" and tell me what continent the sticker is on. Then she can move the sticker and toss it to me, and I have to name the continent. Back and forth we go. That works pretty well.


Countries in Europe: Aural learner is happy to listen to the story, can answer the questions, we're done. Read the same thing to my Visual learner and it's like she never heard a word you said. She looks at you blankly. Huh? Then I learned to show her how to scrapbook the European countries. Here's the cover of the book we read, Ferdinand the Bull. Let's make it into a mini book using construction paper, and we'll write the reasons Ferdinand wouldn't fight on these little, white, flower-shaped pieces of paper. My son would rather stick hot needles in his eyes than do this, but the little artist thinks this is GREAT, when Daddy comes home she's bubbling over, telling him that "I got to do INTERESTING school today!" (BTW, that's called "Notebooking" or "Lapbooking," in case you care.)


Knowing your kiddo's learning type will go a long way toward finding The Best Homeschool Curriculum. And just b/c it's the best for one doesn't mean it's the best for both. Siblings can be quite different.


I tend to use the scope and sequence as a spine, but modify heavily depending on who's getting the lesson. :)









Homeschool teen graduates college at 15


A teen who was homeschooled by his parents has graduated college at same time many students are finishing their freshman year in high school. Did homeschooling offer an edge?



http://ift.tt/1iq9RG1;





Best Homeschool English Curriculum

via WordPress http://ift.tt/1tkWeNm

No comments:

Post a Comment